Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Intro & Ch 1: I am Enough by Marisa Peer

My sisters and I have started a new book on our journey to self-improvement.

My older sister picked out I am Enough by Marisa Peer. This week we are reading the Introduction and Chapter 1.
I have made the following notes while I was reading:

  • 2 Emotional needs
  1. Find connection
  2. Avoid rejection
  • 3 archetypes
    1. want it all but attain none
    2. have some but self-sabotage
      • I think I fall into the "have some but self-sabotage" category
    3. have some and share
  • You can't always change your situation but you can always change how you respond to it.
    • I have heard of and will tell others "you can't change how they act only how you respond".
  • Muscle testing 
  • The mind listens to the words and the body reacts.
    • Often I have found myself getting worked up and escalating of things that I shouldn't. This is making me realize that I am kickstarting my fight/flight response.
  • Reframe your reality (Is it really the worst day ever?)
    • Often I have found myself exaggerating my circumstances in my mind. This is one I'm really going to have to work on.
  • It is not changing, it is "updating"
    • Change is hard and often times it results in failure as I am unable/unwilling to finish. I start off well but then get distracted. I think changing my though process on this to updating and a work in progress rather than an end result could be helpful to manage my stress regarding change.