Monday, November 4, 2013

Book Review: Mistborn

4 out of 5 stars

What do you like?
I enjoyed how the author set up the surrounding area and felt like I was immersed in this land of ash and grey. The character development left a little to be expected. Each character had their role and didn't deviate too much from that role. There were a few surprises in the book that did pull me in and want to know more about but at times I found it easy to set the book down and come back to it a few days later. The book offers a certain type of mysticism (Alomancy) and how the underlying message of religion and how one is started and ended.


What do you not like?
I still like to know the inner workings of how things are. You ingest a metal and you gain a certain power. I found myself how this was accomplished in the body. The character, Sazed, even questioned how this was possible, but no answer was given. I took it for truth considering the lack of medical science. I also found the lacking of politics to be a downer. I wouldn't mind knowing how the city functioned, even if it was going to be brought down in the upcoming months. The second book hints at politics of a new government and of course, action.


Recommend it to a friend?
Someone interesting in the Fantasy/Fiction genre, I would definitely recommend Mistborn. I merely picked this book up on Author recognition alone. He had helped co-author one of favorite series and wanted to see what just his works would be like. I was not disappointed. So much so, I did not hesitate to get the second book in the series.