Sunday, October 4, 2020

Chapter 10: The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron

I am attempting to work with my sisters on The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. 

I came in late (they were on Chapter 9 when I joined them). This is my 1st Chapter to complete. Wish me luck. 😓
Task 1: The Deadlies (Alcohol, Drugs, Sex, Work, Money, Food, Family/Friends)
  • 5 ways the topic has negatively impacted your life

Food

Sex

Family/Friends

Alcohol

Family/Friends

Drugs

Food



Task 2: Touchstones
  • List things you love. Post them where you can see them.
  1. Being organized
  2. Being creative
  3. Being productive
  4. Color
  5. Abstract/Realistic art (i.e. Mandalas)
  6. WoW/Spending time with Friends
  7. Role Playing/Writing
  8. Thinking Games (esp. Winning)

Task 3: The Awful Truth
  • What habit do you have that gets in the way of your creativity?
    • Procrastination
  • What do you think might be the problem? (It is.)
    • Procrastination: Being unmotivated/lazy/tired.
  • What do you plan to do about the habit/problem?
    • I don't know. I tend to schedule things in order to remember them. Perhaps add it to my schedule?
  • What is your payoff in holding on to this block? (If unsure, ask a trusted friend.)
    • Don't have to work on it. Can't fail if you don't try. Don't have to find time in my already busy day.
  • Which friends make you doubt yourself? (Self-doubt is yours, they trigger it.)
    • Family
  • Which friends believe in you/your talent? (Talent is yours, they make you feel it.)
    • Friends
  • What is the payoff for keeping your destructive friends? ("I like them", Why?)
    • They are part of my life. I don't want to lose them. 
  • Which destructive habits do your destructive friends share with you?
    • Laziness, Procrastination, Avoidance
Task 4: Setting a Bottom Line
  • Boundaries: 5 most painful behaviors
  1. I will hold people accountable.
  2. I will not...
  3. I will not...
  4. I will not...
  5. I will not...
Task 5: Cherishing
  • 5 small victories
    1. Talked to the hubby to sort some issues
    2. Updated my work schedule
    3. Played WoW with a friend
    4. Cleaned up/organized our closet w/ hubby
    5. No one called during my on call night
  • 3 nurturing actions
    • Organized/Transferred writing to blog email
    • Wrote Blog Post 
    • Tried a new recipe
  • 3 comforting actions
    • Played WoW with my friend (role playing)
    • Read books this week
    • Took a long, soaking bath
  • 3 self-promises (Keep Them!)
    • Take some time for me.


  • Do 1 lovely thing for yourself each day this week.
    • Sunday: Played WoW with a friend
    • Monday: Left Work on time
    • Tuesday: Stayed in comfy clothes for most of the day
    • Wednesday: Slept in for an extra hour
    • Thursday: Applied for FFCRA (2 weeks)
    • Friday: Played WoW with a friend
    • Saturday: Taught daughter to play WoW